Friday, October 07, 2005

Weather or Not


Overall yesterday was uneventful, or maybe it was day to look for the unordinary and glean something useful from it. I haven’t mentioned much yet about the weather here, so maybe that’s a good place to start.

A local woman was in our makeshift office, talking about an impending cool down that will get the temperature down to 65 at night. Of course the daytime highs will still approach the upper 80’s, but the weather is after all a relative thing.

Just as someone who grew up in Gautier, Mississippi can’t imagine 200” of lake effect snowfall, I can’t imagine living here April to November in muggy tepid temps of 85+.

Years ago I put together a not so ready for a comedy club routine that centered on the Weather Channel. I nicknamed it the “Worry Channel”, because I realized that many of its viewers were looking for bad weather somewhere, anywhere, especially when there was none to speak of in their own backyard.

After being here for a few days, I’ve decided that this kind of “weather envy” is misguided, sort of a meteorological version of slowing down on the freeway to see the accident on the other side. So now I’m calling a truce.

We have Saturday off so Luke and I are renting a car and exploring the Alabama coast. Oh and we’re excited about the Gauthier Mullet Festival taking place this weekend. More about that on Monday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan Och said...

Is it a festival for the fish or the hairstyle? Or both?

5:08 PM  
Blogger Ruby said...

1-24-60: According to your site you haven't posted since Friday. I am concerned that you've gone to the Mullet Festival and haven't come back. I'm worried that you'll come back looking like Billy Ray Cyrus and your buddy will look like Michael Bolton. Please post so we know you're there.
1-24-70

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home